Friends of the Navy:
The city of Memphis is a Navy town, and the entire “901” area is a strong Navy region. Our Navy League Memphis Council consists of a talented and dedicated group of volunteers, who understand the importance of freely accessible sea lanes around the globe, and the need for large and modern United States sea components. In concert with the National Navy League, our mission is to:
- Enhance morale of the members of the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and their families here in the Memphis area
- Educate our community on the need and importance of sea power
- Help build America’s future through youth programs like the Sea Cadets and ROTC.
In executing our mission, the Memphis Navy League hosts or supports a wide variety of events, and provides funding for numerous sea service causes. Some of these efforts include:
- Providing funding for the local USS TENNESSEE (BB-43), Sea Cadet unit. This voluntary program introduces young people to the structure, tradition, and challenges of our military sea services. The BB-43 Sea Cadet unit has grown from 5 to over 50 participants. They have competed, and represented our area well, in numerous State and National competitions.
- Supporting the crews of the USS TENNESSEE (SSBN 734) and the USS WILLIAM P LAWRENCE (DDG 110). We provide funding for these command’s family support groups as well as sponsor crewman visits to Memphis.
- Introducing people to our Navy. Annually, we organize trips to King’s Bay Georgia so that people can tour the USS TENNESSEE (SSBN 734). This is an impressive deterrence platform, and by itself would rank in the top ten most powerful nations in the world. When available, we also organize VIP aircraft carrier tours, which includes a landing, catapult launch and overnight stay on board.
- Recognizing and rewarding strong area sea service performers at our annual awards banquet. Also, providing scholarships to worthy Midshipmen assigned to the University of Memphis and Ole Miss NROTC units.
- Hosting the Naval Air Orientation Day at the Wilson Air Center. Each October, aircrews from around the country come to Memphis to introduce our area (especially our students) to the capabilities of our Fleet air component. We follow up that day of events with our evening “Wine Under Wings” military appreciation gala. At this, we host our local and visiting sea component personnel to an evening of wine sampling, food, music, and comradery.
- Supporting activities at the Millington Naval Support Activity to include their 10 Nautical Mile Run, the Moral Welfare and Rec Golf Tournament and their Navy Ball.
Being a member of our Navy League is an excellent way to provide support for those who serve our county in the maritime environments. No prior service affiliation is required. If interested, please check the “Join Us” section of this website.
John "Buz" Sorce
President - Memphis Council
Navy League of the United States