Citizens in Support of the Sea Services
The Navy League of the United States was founded in 1902 with the encouragement of President Theodore Roosevelt. The Navy League of the United States has provided a powerful voice for a stronger sea service to Congress and to the American People. The Navy League has grown to become the foremost citizens' organization to serve, support, and stand with all the U.S. sea services -- the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, and U.S.-flag Merchant Marine.
Since the Navy League’s founding, it has grown to become a worldwide organization with more than 50,000 members in 240 councils. Council membership includes more than 240 corporate and community affiliate members.
Today, the Navy League’s original mission is focused on two main initiatives. First, the Navy League’s public education efforts are designed to inform the nation, and its political leaders, of the vital importance to the country of comprehensive and fully-prepared sea services. Second, the Navy League, primarily through its councils, provides support for active duty sea services personnel and their families. In keeping with its educational objective, the Navy League also supports America’s young people through successful youth programs, including sponsorship of the U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps and the Navy League Foundation Scholarship Program.
On the local level, our Navy League Memphis Council:
- Funds a growing scholarship program for selected midshipmen at the Universities of Memphis and Ole Miss
- Supports a thriving U.S. Naval Sea Cadet program for 11-19 year-old young men and women interested in sea service careers
- Provides awards to service personnel and high achievers affiliated with our programs - including Navy Personnel Command, Navy Recruiting Command, Coast Guard Sector Lower Mississippi, and Marine Corps Reserve.
- Supports a local initiative to improve Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) interest in our local schools by offering Naval Air Orientation Day each fall in which area youth can tour military aircraft and a Coast Guard Fast Response vessel. This is also an opportunity to educate our youth on the challenges and opportunities of our sea services.
- Supports the annual Toys for Tots program in the local area
- Responds to many other ad hoc requests for assistance in support of Memphis-area service personnel throughout each year
- Offers support to USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734) ballistic missile submarine and USS WILLIAM P. LAWRENCE (DDG-110) guided-missile destroyer
- Offers an annual military appreciation event in which area citizens and business leaders can salute and celebrate our local Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard
- Each council lends support in a way unique to its geographic area and the needs of the local commands. We would be pleased to have you join us! Please click on our JOIN US link below for more information.